Thursday 10 March 2016

Cult 51 Immediate Effects Serum

I'm going to jump right in now with a post on a serum that was recommended to me via a friend who knows about my on going hunt for a decent eye cream that targets fine lines under the eye, which I appear to be developing despite my best efforts to battle them.

That serum is the Cult 51 Immediate Effects Serum coming in at a staggering £95 for 30ml.

Cult 51, Immediate Effects Serum
Image taken from Cult Beauty
At first I'll admit to chuckling to myself about well off friends suggesting things that mere mortals couldn't afford but then I was contacted by Cult 51 themselves offering me a sample. (This was before I re-started blogging) So like any sensible woman, I accepted.

The Samples

I received four sachets of the Immediate Effects Serum and four of the Night Cream, which I then consolidated into some clean, empty lip balm tubs.

Cult 51, Immediate Effects Serum

This then provided me with enough night cream for a month and a half, and enough serum, used sparingly under the eyes, for several months.

The Claims

"3D skin care – a super-charged treatment serum with both instant and cumulative effect, this has a dramatic impact on the visibility of deep set lines, dark circles, bags and wrinkles – lifting, firming and enhancing elasticity by up to 82% in just one hour. 

With a cocktail of powerful antioxidants to ward against the ravages of photo-ageing and free radical attack, the lightweight, cumulative treatment is readily absorbed to leave skin visibly brighter."

The Ingredients

Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol Denat, Glycerin, Soluble Collagen, Dimethicone, Argania Spinosa Kernel Extract, Sodium Polyacrylate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Methyl Gluceth-10, Benzyl Alcohol, Caffeine, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Sodium Cocoyl Glucamate, Trideceth-6, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Escin, Dehydroacetic Acid, Carbomer, Ruscus Aculeatus Root Extract, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Centella Asiatica Extract, Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate."

The Immediate Concerns

The ingredients that are considered good (green) for skincare actually feature a lot lower than many that are not that good for you (red) or are there simply to make the product look and feel good, (blue).

Notable ingredients of concern include;

Sodium Benzoate, which when mixed with Vit C creates a carcinogenic,
Phenoxyethanol which can cause a shut down of the central nervous system, vomiting and contact dermatitis,
Benzyl Alcohol which can instigate immune system response, gradually causing your skin to react, causing itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering of skin,
Potassium Sorabte which if mixed with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) can cause mutagenicity and DNA-damaging activity,
Sodium Polyacrylate which is a polymer, the absorbent material found in baby diapers, artificial decorative snow, and detergents.
How Did It Fair?

I used the serum under my eyes, alongside the night cream and my usual day cream for nearly two months before I realised it has done little to nothing for the fine lines under my eyes. That is when I started looking at the ingredients list for the active products that should have been reducing those pesky lines. After a bit of research I stopped using it all together simply because of what is in the serum. I'm trying to stop the clock, not ruin my skin.

My Conclusion

For £95 it's an expensive bit of goo, in my opinion you'd be better off getting a facial done at a beauticians for that price, or buying shoes, or books, or whatever else takes your fancy.

Next time on the blog

Cult 51 Night Cream, is it as full of red ingredients as the serum, did I love it or hate it. And most of all, how does it hold up to its claims?
SHARE:

1 comment

Thank you for your comment, I read each and every one!

However if you need a more direct answer or have a question, do feel free to contact me via Twitter @RedsBeautyBlog or drop me an email at elizabethredblog@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Mrs Red's Beauty Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig